Sunday, February 15, 2009

Irony At It's Best: The Lady and the Apple



What I just witnessed should put a lot of "No...that would never happen!" stories to rest!

I went into the city to do some food shopping today, and when I came out of the store I discovered a horrific scene--two black men grabbing and tugging at an older woman's bags--she was a 70ish caucasian woman. Now as a woman of a certain...color...I know what's expected in situations like this. But I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, so I decided to take on the role of the heroic superhero--I yelled, "Stop! let go of her!" Not much of a hero, huh. Well, c'mon, these guys could've had a weapon or something...that's how it goes in situations like this, right? And plus, I wasn't exactly in the mood to put my life on the line for an old woman, who probably didn't have the much time left. And, no that's not being mean, that's being logical!

Nevertheless, getting closer to the scene, I noticed the raucous was drawing in a crowd. When the two black men turned around, they were wearing aprons, and cursing to the high heavens at this woman--apparently the "old thief" stole fruit and milk from the grocery store.

She yelled crude remarks at the two gentleman, saying that they were trying to feel on her and touch her. Well, the police pulled up and three people--including me who was trying to put my 25cents in hehe--were trying to give the cops the story of what happened. I tried to peek at what the officers were writing, thinking that they might've been playing hangman, instead of taking things seriously. So, they quickly closed their "officers notebooks, and that's when "Bonnie w/o the Clyde" asked if she could keep the fruit, because she was a diabetic. The officers said no, unless she was going to pay for it. I watched as she gave the groceries back to the two workers. The crowd died down. The cops walked her across the street to the station. I squinted my eyes because a green object was bouncing around in her pocket--it was a green apple. Nice.

No comments: